Tuesday, May 7, 2013

S1:E04 "Elder Swan eats the chicken"

Hi!!!
 
I hope everything is going well in all y'alls lives. I'm still alive and well, even in the MTC. The language is still coming along, still teaching like 3 times a week, and TRC (teaching members in Danish) is awesome, although I feel dumb most of the time when giving a lesson to them.
 
So on last wednesday, my teacher looked up what was for dinner. Lo and behold, it read chicken cordon on bleu. Then he told us an interesting fact about what he had done while he was in the MTC. He told us his record, of eating chicken cordon bleu, was 5. I instantly knew what I had to do, and said "Challenge accepted." Dinner rolls around, and it began, 2 at a time I would get my chicken. I ate, and ate, and ate, until the sixth one came about. I felt like I was going to explode, but I can never give up, and never surrender. I continued to eat, until I got half way through my sixth one. That was my stopping point sadly... but 5 and a half chicken cordon bleus, I broke my teachers record, and earned respect throughout the zone. Because of this great task I had accomplished, my branch president thought it was fitting for me to be zone leader, and so it came to pass, I am zone leader.
 
Friday was an awesome day in class, Brother Stacy taught us about how when he was in Denmark, this retired lady would always invite them over for a HUGE dinner every week. They knew that she was spending most of her weekly income on them, and they were very appreciative. But when christmas rolled around she invited them over for dinner. Brother Stacy asked her why she keeps doing this, and that they can go eat with a different family. But she wouldn't accept. Brother Stacy felt so bad about her spending her money on them that he called his mission president, and his mission president told him that he needs to visit with her, eat her food, and be grateful. So that's what he did. But after they were done eating dinner, brother Stacy asked the sister why she would spend her money on them for Christmas and buy them gifts, feed them, etc. She told them that all the money she has spent on them is nothing, because she spent her Christmas with Christ. It made me realize what being a missionary really means. We are representatives of Christ, and need to act in accordance to that calling in everything that we do. It was a very touching and uplifting moment. It made me realize how good I should be for this calling.
 
On Friday as well, we taught a non-member foreign exchange student for TRC. It was crazy how strong the spirit was, I realized that even in super broken Danish, you can feel the spirit strong, and the spirit is a much better teacher than I will ever be. Our lesson was on the book of mormon and prayer, she said that she already had a testimony of prayer which is awesome. I'm so excited to get out in the field and begin working and contacting. (Although I'm not quite there with the language... -.-)
 
Saturday nothing really special happened. I almost broke my skull catching a ball that was thrown to me. The wall was much closer than I expected it to be. It was also a day we said to speak Danish only all day. It went fairly well even though everyone stopped this commitment around dinner time. We heard some of the funniest stories from Brother Williamson though. He talked about his worst companion, who got a 7 on the ACT. He said that he felt kind of bad because he knew he wasn't all there. But his companion wouldn't shower, or brush his teeth, and didn't know Danish at all. Brother Williamson told us about how he got his companion to brush his teeth. He would say "Let's have a contest to see who can brush their teeth the longest." But he had one of the 2 minute electric tooth brushes. So as soon as it would stop, his companion would yell "I won!!!!" But the way he told it is super funny... and super terrible. (Once again... a 7 on the ACT)
 
Fast Sunday was good, it wasn't nearly as bad as Phill said he was, he is just a whiner. Most of the talks we have been given in devotionals involve how often people get dear johned and how we should "lock our heart", but someone in this devotional pointed to his wife and said that she waited for him. This is when Elder Wawro enthusiastically said "He did it!!!!" (quoting the internet meme) it made me laugh super hard. Later that night, Chad Lewis was here and talked to us. He is an amazing man, and can jump stupidly high (I now know where Jesse gets it from) He talked about how we should always be missionaries, in everything that we do. Also that we should learn our language and be more than missionary fluent in it, and not to forget it. These two things are something I hope to keep with me forever.
 
Yesterday was a pretty good day. We skyped with the Dad who invited the foreign exchange student to live with him. It was a nice conversation, although he said something that really stuck out to me. After our lesson and talking in Danish, he said "Elder Swan, Sophia(The foreign exhange student) said something that I should tell you. She said that you have good Danish, and that you should speak more and not be so nervous." It made me realize something that I really have to work on. That I need to work on leading the discussions and talking more. (even in English I'm just a quiet kid.) But that is something I'm trying to work on this week. I hope I can fix it, because I want to speak and teach to the best of my ability.
 
Anyways, everything is going well. Still loving Danish, still living through the MTC.
 
Love you all,
 
Elder Swan

No comments:

Post a Comment